The Ophthalmology Department has existed since the establishment and completion of new Sibu Hospital in October 1994. Department of Ophthalmology, Sibu Hospital comprises of Eye Clinic which caters for outpatients and an Eye Ward for inpatients.
Patients will be seen in the clinic by appointment and referral only. Department of Ophthalmology, Hospital Sibu is a referral center with two Ophthalmologists in the central zone of Sarawak. In spite of this, some patients may need to be referred to Sarawak General Hospital, Kuching due to lack of equipment, facilities and expertise.
The Department of Ophthalmology, Sibu Hospital also extends its eye care services by providing visiting Eye Specialist, Eye-trained Medical Officers and Optometrists to visit primary health centres such as to Kapit Hospital.
- To reduce the rate of low vision and blindness among the population in the central region of Sarawak.
- Early diagnosis and intensive treatment of eye pathology.
Scope of Services
- Services available in Eye Clinic
- Visual Acuity Test
- General eye examination
- Pre-employment eye examination (only for Hospital Staff)
- Minor eye surgical procedure such as Incision and Drainage (I&D), Incision and Curettage (I&C), Simple Toilet and Suturing (T&S), eye syringing and eye irrigation
- Pan Retinal Photocoagulation Laser Treatment (PRP)
- YAG Laser treatment
- Emergency eye assessment and treatment
- Diabetic eye assessment
- Glaucoma assessment
- Fundus photography
- Retinopathy of Prematurity assessment
- Refractive assessment
- Visual Field test
- Orthoptic/Binocular assessment
- Low Vision Service
- Contact Lens Service
- Biometry assessment
- Ocular Ultrasound examination
- Continuous medical education for doctors and other clinical staffs.
- Training and attachment center for medical students, nurse and paramedic students
- Services in Operation Theater (Tuesday and Thursday)
- Cataract Surgery
- Simple Eyelid Surgery
- Pterygium Surgery
- Squint Surgery
- Filtrating Surgery
- Globe Rupture Repair
- Intravitreal Injection Procedure
- Examination under Anesthesia
- Other related activities include:
- Outreach Program:
- Cataract Campaign,
- Glaucoma Screening, and
- Eye related courses